Ho'okele Staff | Sep 18, 2010
On Oct. 19, 1940, the Hawaiian Air Force was established. It was activated Nov. 1, 1940, at Fort Shafter, Territory of Hawaii, and assigned to the Hawaiian Department, U. S. Army. The motto was the Hawaiian phrase Ku Kiai (on guard). The Hawaiian AF was moved to Hickam Field in July 1941, and redesignated as 7th Air Force on Feb. 5, 1942.
Photo illustration | Images courtesy of U.S. Air Force